Commemorating 100 years since
the passing of Ned Trickett
In June 1877, the great Australian rower, Edward (Ned) Trickett made his first defence of the World Championship Sculling Title he had won the year before on the Thames in England, with another spirited win this time on a course on the Parramatta River in Sydney. A crowd reported to be more than 70,000 lined both banks of the river to watch the race; equivalent to one third of Sydney’s then population!
When Trickett won the World Championship in London in 1876, he became the first Australian to be a World Champion in any sport. From this distance in time, it can be difficult for us to appreciate the galvanising impact that Trickett’s World Championship win had on the emerging sense of a separate and proud Australian identity. One thing we can readily understand are the pressures on elite sports people and the effects that can have: Trickett was no exception and battled the ‘black dog’ of depression for much of his life.
To celebrate Trickett’s first defence (which he won against Irish-Australian and long-time friend and respected rival Michael Rush) the Illustrated Sydney News published a large fold-out ‘birds-eye view’ map of the Parramatta River, showing the race route. Unusually, this map looks West along the River towards the then rapidly growing settlement of Parramatta.
Very few of these beautiful maps have survived; the Australian National Maritime Museum has one, as does the NSW State Library. To commemorate the centenary of Trickett’s passing and for the first time since its original publication in 1877, a limited edition reproduction of this rare, beautiful and historically interesting map has been published by Rafter Limited Editions.
“the first man not bred in England to win the great prize of the championship of the world who had won honour for the people of the whole of these colonies”.The Hon. Sir John Robertson
Own your own piece of history
A birds-eye view ‘map’ of the Parramatta River showingthe route of the Championship Race, originally published in the Illustrated Sydney News July 1877
(now familiar to generations of Sydney rowers)